ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

Number of replies: 31

What is the most important lesson you have learnt from the course?


INSTRUCTIONS: 

Share your realizations in the forum.

Click the Reply button to make a post.

Click the Post to forum button to submit your post.

*** Note: Replies should be at least 15 words composition. 

In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Bhavna Varshney -

The most important lesson I have learnt from the Deity Worship at Home course is that Deity worship is not simply about following a set of rituals, but about developing a loving and personal relationship with Kṛṣṇa through service. I have learnt the importance of cleanliness, consistency, proper preparation and following the authorised process, while also understanding that home worship can be simple and practical according to our circumstances. Most importantly, the course has helped me see each service—bathing, dressing, offering bhoga, ārati and caring for Tulasī—as an opportunity to serve Kṛṣṇa with love, devotion and sincerity. This course has deepend my understanding of Deity Worship at home.  Thank you very much prabhu ji for enlightining us with this invaluable knowledge.

Hare Krsna

In reply to Bhavna Varshney

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Abhishek Pharande -
Your profound realization beautifully captures the essence of sādhana-bhakti. By prioritizing a personal, loving relationship with Kṛṣṇa over mechanical ritualism, your home worship becomes a genuine expression of devotion
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Gaurasundara Carana Dasa -
The most important lesson I have learned from this course is that Deity worship is not just about performing rituals correctly; it is about developing the consciousness that Krishna is personally present and that I am serving Him. The standards of cleanliness, punctuality, careful worship, offering food, arati, and other services are meant to help me become more attentive, disciplined, and sincere in my devotional service. Most importantly, I learned that the real purpose of these practices is to develop love and a deeper relationship with Krishna.
In reply to Gaurasundara Carana Dasa

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Kara Gonzalez Lopez -
I like your point that Deity worship is not just about following rules, but about understanding that Krishna is personally present. Also being clean, punctual, and attentive helps us become more sincere in our service and develop a deeper relationship with Krishna
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Dana Kato -
The most important lesson I have learned from this course is that Deity worship is much more than just knowing the procedures and making sure I do everything correctly. I came into the course with a lot of questions about what I was supposed to do and a fear of making offenses because I really want to serve Krishna properly. I have learned that understanding the purpose behind the worship is just as important as learning the actual steps.

I also learned that the standards of worship need to be understood according to our circumstances and what we are actually able to maintain, and that we should think carefully about what Deities we take responsibility for. At the same time, I don't want the worship to become something I am just trying to accomplish or check off a list. The devotion and sincerity behind the service are so important.

I think the biggest thing I am taking away is that Deity worship gives me a much more direct and personal way to serve Krishna. I am still learning and I know I have a lot more to learn, but this course has helped me feel less afraid of doing something wrong and more interested in understanding how I can serve with sincerity, care, and devotion.
In reply to Dana Kato

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Abhishek Pharande -
Sincere devotion and understanding the purpose outweigh mechanical procedures or fear of making offenses.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Premanidhi Devi Dasi -
Hare Krishna!

The realization I received from the Deity worship at home course is that Deity worship is not just about performing rituals correctly, but it is about how to develop a loving and personal relationship with Krishna through the sincere devotional service. It has also helped me become more mindful of Krishna throughout the day.

Even simple services like cleaning, dressing, offering bhoga, or arranging the altar can be performed with love and attention. I learned that the mood and sincerity behind the service are just as important as knowing the proper procedures.

This course has inspired me to serve the deities more attentively and see every service as a personal opportunity to please Krishna.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Roger Thorson -
The most important thing that I learned was about refining the process that I have been using for both Bhoga offering and Arati.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Dominic Lehane -
The most important lesson that I learned from this course is that the worship of the deity should be done together with the chanting of the holy name in order to make rapid progress in krishna consciousness. Although the maha mantra is indeed the yuga dharma, the process for the fallen age of Kali Yuga, deity worship is practically essential for a serious adept of bhakti yoga. Deity worship helps to remove material attachments and to focus one's attention on service to Krishna.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Ratri Saha -
Hare Krishna.

My Gaura Nitai deities came to me as my wedding gift. I did not have any deities prior to that. I was worshiping Krishna in the picture form. I have been worshipping my deities but I did not have any proper training. I am so glad I found this course.

Everything taught in this course have cleared my doubts and gave a sastric perception to my understanding. The most important lesson I learnt is the importance of cleanliness and purity, understanding the offenses, proper method of bathing and dressing the deities, taking care of deities with the utmost care. I know the real purpose behind deity worship that its not just a ritual but having personal relationship with Krishna.

Now I understand the philosophical aspect of the practice of deity worship. I learned the proper standards and importance of consistency in deity worship. I am more clear on the process of waking the deities and putting them to bed. I am more aware of the details in the process and I will pay more attention to the details as I have a good training from this course.

Now I am more inspired to improve my practice by applying what I have learned from this course and continue seeking training and education in deity worship.

Thank you for the time and effort you take to facilitate this course.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Sudha Rapolu -

Hare Krishna 

This course is really helping me so much. Online Zoom sessions, reading so many beautiful verses quoted in the course, and watching videos are very purifying. It made me understand that the purpose of Deity worship is to establish a loving relationship with Lord Krishna. How one can purify their consciousness when it is done properly, following rules and regulations correctly, so bhakti toward Krishna will increase. I learned that Deity worship along with chanting will help one to progress in Krishna consciousness. This course is giving a very detail understading of all the procedures, and also with an understanding that the essence is to bring us closer to Krishna, not just do it mechanically as a ritual. Thank you so much, Prabhuji 🙏

In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Anita Goel -
The single most important lesson is that the Deity is Krsna personally present, and therefore every aspect of worship must be approached with consciousness, cleanliness, and consistency. Once this truth settles in the heart, every other instruction becomes meaningful, natural, and joyful.
Treat the Deity as Krsna Himself, and build your worship around purity, consistency, and heartfelt service.
Everything else—procedures, schedules, altar setup, offerings—flows naturally from this one realization.
In reply to Anita Goel

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Srinivas Acharya Das -

Mayavadis use Deity as a step towards nullifying the personal form of the Lord and merge into impersonal. They USE Deity instead of serving Deity. Smartas serve the Deity, but they don’t accept the Deity as Krishna Himself. Vaisnavas accept wholeheartedly that Sri Murti (Deity) is Himself. All the service that follows is based on this foundational principle. Vaisnavas understand that Krishna is not in the Deity but Deity is Krishna. This understanding and faith takes the worshiper to a new level that can’t be approached by other two methods. 

In reply to Srinivas Acharya Das

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Srinivas Acharya Das -
This understanding of Deity and Krishna are identical echoes in other area as well. Vaisnavas consider that the holy name and prasad are non-different from Krishna just as Deity is non-different from Krishna.
In reply to Anita Goel

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Gajendra Nath Das -
Nice point - treating Krishna as a person and accordingly serving him as we would serve a person.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Rajesh Kanhiya -
I am doing Deity worship in temple since 8 years now where we practice a high standard of worship. At home I have Gaura Nitai deity and was doing a very simple worship for them. This course has enable me to better understand the level of worship to put in place. All the sessions were very enriching and make us realize that if we serve the Lord nicely our sadhana will flourish and we will come closer to the Lord.
Thank you for facilitating this course and hope that other similar training could be provided in deity worship like painting, dressing, learn about preparation turban among others.
In reply to Rajesh Kanhiya

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Tulasi Priti Devi Dasi -
I really appreciate how you connect your temple worship experience with developing a more thoughtful standard of worship at home. Your point that attentive Deity service strengthens our sadhana and brings us closer to the Lord beautifully summarizes the purpose of the course. I also like your suggestion for practical advanced training in dressing, painting, and turban preparation.
In reply to Rajesh Kanhiya

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Devdatt Nagvekar -

The most important lesson I have learned from this course is that Deity worship is not just about rituals; it is about developing a personal relationship with your deities.   Thus, by developing the personal relationship we develop consciousness for The Supreme Lord Shri Krishna by serving Him very nicely as per the scriptures. Herein we make sure we develop highest purity standards.  We also learnt about the activities of performing puja, serving the Lord with Bhoga, waking, putting the deities to sleep, making sure that the processes are performed in a timely fashion, thereby developing a personal relationship with the Lord in one of the five Rasas.

In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Shikha Sharma -
The most important lesson I have learnt from this course is that the deity worship is not idol worship but building a personal relationship with the lord. The proper standards of doing acamana, performing aarti, offering bhoga, waking up the deities and putting them to bed helped me to minimize my offenses in service and I am still learning. I have started becoming more attentive for each detail of doing deity worship. The course helped me learn that devotion and sincerity behind every service are so important to develop a deeper connection with Lord Krishna. Thank you for facilitating this course.
In reply to Shikha Sharma

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Tulasi Priti Devi Dasi -
I really like your point that Deity worship is about building a personal relationship with Krishna, not simply learning procedures. As we become more attentive to cleanliness, acamana, arati, bhoga offerings, and other details, those standards help us express our sincerity and devotion more consciously in our service.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Blaire Murphy -
The most important lesson I learned was the increasing emphasis on purity. The cleanliness in the home, clothing, during aarti, and in caring for the deities. I have done my best to maintain a high level of purity in my home, but this course really took my understanding of these standards to the next level.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Santha Vishnumolakala -
The most important lesson I have learnt from the Deity Worship at Home course is that Deity worship is not simply about following a set of rituals rather worship with love and devotion. Came to know that whole standards processes to follow on worship. There is no minimum and maximum standards to follow rather follow whatever we can consistently with proper care, love and devotion.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Tulasi Priti Devi Dasi -
The most important lesson I have learned from this course is that Deity worship is not simply about following rituals and procedures; it is about developing a personal relationship with Krishna through loving service. Understanding that the Deity is Krishna Himself changes how I approach every aspect of worship.

The course has made me more conscious of cleanliness, punctuality, attentiveness, proper preparation, and avoiding offenses. I especially learned that even simple services such as waking the Deities, offering bhoga, performing arati, dressing Them, cleaning the altar, or preparing flowers should be done with the consciousness that Krishna is personally present and accepting my service.

Another important realization is that our standard of home worship should be practical and sustainable. We should not compare ourselves with others or try to imitate temple standards that we cannot consistently maintain. At the same time, simplicity should not become an excuse for carelessness. We should establish a standard we can maintain faithfully and gradually improve the quality of our service.

Ultimately, the biggest change for me is in consciousness: moving from "I am performing Deity worship" to "I am personally serving Krishna." This understanding will help me approach my home worship with greater gratitude, reverence, attention, and love.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Radha Shakti devi dasi Hayward -
Hare Krishna,
For me, this course has brought up many questions I need to ask myself and explore honestly.
I love having a little altar at home. Yet, I find myself feeling rushed and doing things in a mechanical way at times. It isn't that way at all when I'm at Temple...I'm wondering if maybe the fact that I don't interact with the deity photos might have something to with the fact that I am not interacting with photographs the way I would be with deity figures. But the reality of my situation is that what I yearn for just does not make practical sense. So bitter sweet feelings. So I wonder and am asking myself honestly, if having an altar in the sense of performing all the rituals is appropriate for me especially when I feel closer to the deity photos which are all through the house...
In reply to Radha Shakti devi dasi Hayward

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Radha Shakti devi dasi Hayward -
Hare Krishna dear devotees. Once again my deepest apologies. My voice to text program is a great help but I do need to edit. The last two posts I hit the edit button immediately, did the editing and then the message came that it was too late to edit!
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Leela Japa -
Hare Krsna -
The most imp lesson I have learned is that deity worship is not merely a ritual or simply following a set of procedures than it is developing a personal and loving relationship with Krsna through service. I have learned the importance of cleanliness, punctuality, attentiveness, while also understanding the mood of devotion and desire to please the Lord are most imp. Also, imp to worship with care, humility, gratitude and desire to please the Lord.
All glories to Srila Prabhupada!
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Archana Date -
Hare Krishna , The most important thing I learned from this course is deity worship is not simple rituals but a devotion. It is very crucial to advance in Krishna consciousness. This is one service where we can practically server Krishna as a person and develop personal loving relationship with lord. As a new sadhak or neophyte , I don't have deities this course as taught me many thing for example how to do achamana , how to offer bhoga , Aarti , how to bath and decorate deities and how to serve Tulsi Maharani. Thank you so much Prabhuji and entire team for enlightening us with invaluable knowledge and guidance.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Rupavilasini dd -
The most important lesson I have learned is that Deity worship is not just about following rituals, but about developing a loving and personal relationship with Krishna. This course has taught me to see every service, even the smallest one, as an opportunity to please and serve the Deities with love. I have become more mindful of cleanliness, attention to detail, and the consciousness with which I perform each service.
In reply to Rupavilasini dd

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Gajendra Nath Das -
Yes, not following the rituals mechanically, but very lovingly and feelingly doing Deity worship is so very important and nourishing.
In reply to First post

ICEBREAKER — Most important lesson

by Gajendra Nath Das -
The most important lesson that I have learnt from this course is how Deity Worship is such an important part of our devotional practice and multiple profound ways in which it can impact our spiritual life positively.